The essential elements of character building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship. We believe the highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects six core principles: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship. Every Parent/Guardian within CAMFA will therefore agree:
• I will not force my child to participate in sports.
• I will inform the coach of any disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
• I will understand that player safety is paramount, and I will not encourage any behaviours or practices that would endanger the health and wellbeing of the athletes.
• I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
• I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
• I and my guests will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials, league executives, the league and spectators on or off the field, in every game, practice or other team related forum or event, including but not limited to methods of mass communication such as emails, online activities (forums and social media) or in print.
• I and my guests will not engage in any kind of booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
• I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
• I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex, or ability.
• I will teach my child that doing one's best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance. I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning.
• I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
• I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
• I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
• I will not use the CAMFA logo without permission from CAMFA Executives. I agree that by signing the Code of Conduct, I accept its rules as guidelines for my behaviour as well as that of my immediate family and guests.
I agree that if I or members of my immediate family or my guests fail to abide by Code of Conduct, I will be subject to disciplinary action that could include, but is not limited to, the following:
• Verbal warning by official, head coach, and/or executive of league organization • Written warning
• Parental game suspension with written documentation of incident kept on file
• Parental season suspension
Parent/Guardian Signature: ____________________________________ Date: ________________________
Player’s Name: _________________________________________