FOOTBALL IS A COST-EFFECTIVE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY FOR YOUR CHILD
Because we include all equipment except footwear, Football is among the least expensive activities in the area.
FOOTBALL WORKS WELL WITH OTHER SPORTS
Because our seasons are short and intense, we don't overlap much with summer (or winter) sports. We understand that kids should play a variety of sports for both psychological, as well as physical reasons. If you are worried about missing fall training camp because Soccer or Baseball isn't finished yet, don't be, we're not. Come to whatever sessions you can until your summer sport is done.
WHY SHOULD MY CHILD PLAY FOOTBALL?
Children play football because it is fun, challenging and exciting. Most kids love being part of a team.
Football teaches cooperation and teamwork, helps develop positive social skills and teaches respect for others. It helps build self-confidence, a positive self-image and self-worth. It enables a child to improve upon and develop a broad range of motor skills like throwing, catching, running, kicking, balance, agility and coordination. Because a large variety of skills and physical abilities are required on a football team, there is a position for every child to play.
WHAT PSYCHOLOGICAL EFFECT WILL FOOTBALL HAVE ON MY CHILD?
CAMFA strives to provide the proper environment so your child will have a positive and rewarding experience. Playing football is fun and causes a player to push him/herself.
HOW SAFE IS FOOTBALL?
Football is a contact sport and injuries do occur. However, the risk of injury is no greater than in other contact sports, when:
(1) played within rules that are appropriate to the age and abilities of the players;
(2) teams conduct business with a "child first" attitude;
(3) games are well officiated;
(4) proper playing techniques are taught;
(5) coaches are appropriately trained;
(6) proper, well-fitting and maintained equipment is worn.
The safety and well-being of participants are CAMFA's number one concern.
HOW IS FOOTBALL BEING MADE A SAFER GAME?
Football Canada's rules, officials, equipment, coaches and program committees are constantly reviewing their activities to ensure that the safety and well-being of all participants are being met. Coaches and Officials Certification Programs are conducted, including training on recognizing concussions. Protective equipment is continually being improved. Equipment fitting and maintenance guidelines are constantly being updated.
AT WHAT AGE SHOULD MY CHILD PLAY FOOTBALL?
Children are attracted to competitive sport at an early age. Competition is not generally a problem unless too much emphasis is placed on winning. As long as the players are of relatively similar skill level, strength, age and stature they can compete safely in football.
Your child should be encouraged to play football only when he/she exhibits an interest in doing so. As soon as the child can comprehend team play and wants to participate with a team then a child is ready for football.
CAMFA provides tackle football programs for youth aged 10-16. Children aged 6-9 can play in our flag football programs.
WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR IN MY CHILD'S FOOTBALL TEAM?
Your child should be participating on a team that:
(1) is coached by a responsible, knowledgeable Football Canada certified coach;
(2) conducts its affairs in a code of FAIR PLAY;
(3) provides access to an equipment manager trained to properly fit and maintain equipment;
(4) provides its players with properly fitted and maintained equipment;
(5) emphasizes a physical conditioning program appropriate to the participant's age;
(6) provides access to a trainer or support staff knowledgeable in first aid;
(7) reflects those values that you want your team to acquire;
(8) ensures that your child is exposed to an athletic environment that suits his/her interest and abilities and level of commitment; and
(9) practices and plays for fun.
Further, your child should be participating in a league and within an organization that;
(1) uses only nationally certified officials;
(2) has safe and well-maintained playing areas;
(3) considers the needs of the children first;
(4) has a functioning, appropriate safety rules and procedures in place; and
(5) actively promotes "FAIR PLAY" through philosophy, policy and action.
DO I NEED TO BUY EQUIPMENT FOR MY CHILD?
Except for personal items such as pad girdles, undergarments and footwear, we supply equipment to our players. If you wish to buy equipment for your child, contact one of our equipment managers or any member of the executive. CAMFA has 40 years' experience in purchasing football equipment and we have volunteers with knowledge of all the latest products. We can help you make up your mind.
We provide all tackle program players with a mouthguard, we use a "boil & bite" style mouthguard that is CSA approved. Other mouthguards are available at retail establishments, including those specifically designed to be worn by players who have braces.
Properly fitting football equipment is essential for the safety of players. We will not allow a player to participate in any contact activities unless our certified coaches and/or officials are satisfied that their equipment is sound. If you ever have any concerns about your child's equipment, speak to your equipment manager or head coach.